A few weeks ago I was thrilled to host a cooking workshop as a wrap-up session for the nutrition seminars my colleague and I offered. Our participants had a common request for quick, healthy and fun dessert recipes and that was the inspiration for these decadent chocolate date brownies. This is such a versatile recipe that takes only a few minutes to make and can be customized to your preferences. Get creative and add or change ingredients depending on your favourites!
These brownies contain ingredients you probably already have on hand: Dates, Oats, Cacao power and Nuts. With such a short list of ingredients, the best way to describe these brownies is to tell you what’s not in them:
No flour – No sugar – No eggs – No dairy – No oil or butter – No baking!
This delicious combination of simple ingredients offers so much goodness in one bite! By using dates and oats, we’re increasing the fibre content and giving a natural sweetness that replaces traditional sugar. These brownies are also high in protein, potassium and calcium and low in fat.
To obtain the crunch we all dig for in every brownie, you need your favourite nuts. I chose to add cashews, but you can always combine or substitute them with almonds and walnuts. In addition to being raw, vegan and gluten free, this recipe can also be made nut-free by omitting nuts altogether and substituting with oats to help achieve the desired texture.
1. In a food processor or high-powered blender, mix the oats and cacao powder and half the nuts together into a flour.
2. Add the dates and blend until the mixture is well combined and starts to ball together.
3. Add a tablespoon of water if needed, to help the mixture ball together.
4. Roughly chop the remaining nuts and add to the brownie mixture until evenly distributed.
5. Transfer to a small parchment lined dish and press to obtain the desired thickness. You may use a piece of plastic wrap to prevent your hands or spoon from sticking as you press down the mixture.
6. Allow the mixture to firm up in the fridge for 15 minutes.